Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Mexican night!!

OK! I'm making some divine smothered burritos and they are usually ginormous but for this occasion I'll make them miniature so there will room in your bellies for all the other yummy food that will be coming. I vote for two sides, a drink and a dessert unless someone has a really good recipe for a very mexican salad. I can't wait to eat!!!!

Diana-Spanish Rice
April-Fried Ice Cream
Rachel-Limonada
Christy-Salsa
Miranda- Black Beans
Sarah-Burritos



Burritos

1lb ground turkey 1 onion chopped

1 can diced green chilies 1/4 C taco seasoning mix

1 can black beans 1 can corn

Saute onion in a little butter until tender. Add meat and brown. Add rest of the ingredients and warm thoroughly. Spoon into tortillas with a little cheddar cheese.

Sauce

2 cans cream of chicken soup 1 can diced green chiles

1 t cumin 1 t onion pwdr

1 t garlic pdwr 1/2 t oregano

1/2 t sage 1/2 chile pwdr

Mix all ingredients in sauce pan until boiling. Spoon over burrito, sprinkle cheese on top. Heat in oven or microwave until cheese melts. Garnish with cilantro.





Black Beans

4-8 oz. Chorizo*

1 T olive oil

1 large onion (chopped)

2 or 3 cans black beans

1 T Coriander

2 tsp. Cumin

1-2 cloves minced garlic

¼ cup fresh chopped parsley

¼ cup fresh chopped cilantro

red pepper flakes (as desired)

salt to taste

Saute onion, garlic, and chorizo until fragrant and tender. Add 1 can of beans and mash if a thicker consistency is desired. Add additional beans and seasonings and heat through. Taste frequently while adding salt and coriander.

*I used chorizo for this recipe but any high flavor meat such as ham, bacon, or sausage would work just as well.




Salsa
I found a recipe on Bettycrocker.com but I didn't really follow it, so here is what I did.
1 1/2 lbs tomatoes
1 small to medium onion
1 jalapeno (seeded)
1 lime
cilantro (to taste, I used 1/2 of the bunch I bought)
Combine all ingredients in food processor until it is finely chopped.



Limonada (adapted from this recipe)
Limes
Water
Sugar

Quarter the limes, I usually start with 4 limes. Put them in your blender (skins and all) with 4 cups of cold water and sugar, I start with about 1/2 cup. Blend on high for 30 seconds or so. Strain out the lime bits, leaving an opaque, frothy concentrate. Dilute with more water (usually another 4 cups) and add sugar to taste. You can replace the limes with lemons to make a strong lemonade with no muscle work!



FRIED MEXICAN ICE CREAM

1 pt. vanilla ice cream
1/2 c. crushed corn flakes or cookie crumbs
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. sugar
1 egg
Oil for deep frying
Honey
Whipped cream

Scoop out 4 or 5 balls of ice cream. Return to freezer. Mix crumbs, cinnamon and sugar. Roll frozen ice cream balls in half the crumb mixture and freeze again. Beat egg and dip coated balls in egg, then roll again in remaining crumbs. Freeze until ready to use (for thicker coating repeat dipping in egg and rolling in crumbs).
When ready to serve, heat oil to 350 degrees. Place a frozen ice cream ball in fryer basket or on a perforated spoon and lower into hot oil 1 minute. Immediately remove and place on dessert compote. Drizzle with honey and top with a dab of whipped cream. Continue to fry balls one at a time. Balls will be crunchy on the outside and just beginning to melt on the inside. 4-5 servings.


3 comments:

Justin and Diana said...

Question: When is cooking club this month? Does anyone have the official schedule?

Sarah Stamps said...

We will meet friday the 27th of June at 7 or 7:30 at Sarah Stamps house. Call me for the address or ask April for directions.

Miranda said...

Christy, we want you to make salsa.:) Diana, tell Serin she can come if she wants...she doesn't even have to cook.